1 What is EDMS
An electronic document management system (EDMS) is a software system for organizing and storing different kinds of documents. This type of system is a more particular kind of document management system, a more general type of storage system that helps users to organize and store paper or digital documents. EDMS refers more specifically to a software system that handles digital documents, rather than paper documents, although in some instances, these systems may also handle digital scanned versions of original paper documents.
An electronic document management provides a way to centrally store a large volume of digital documents. Many of these systems also include features for efficient document retrieval.
2 Why companies use EDMS
The reasons for using EDMS are compelling:
- Improve access to records and information – authorized users can search across the unit, department or even access documents maintained by other agencies with a single search query. Workflow can automatically notify internal or external users when needed information has arrived or has been processed.
- Improve customer service – retained or in-process information can be immediately accessed. Accessed information can be faxed or emailed to the customer from the desktop.
- Reduce queue time – information can be routed electronically using email or workflow eliminating mailing and transport activities.
- Minimize duplication – a single copy of a document can be made available to all authorized users, including those outside the agency.
- Decrease data keying requirements – forms processing and eforms can access current data via lookups and export form data directly to business applications.
- Reduce storage and retrieval expense – a single repository reduces the need to store multiple copies while standardized indexing and integration with business applications allows users to instantly access needed documents or other information.
- Automate business processes – workflow can be used to move information from one step to another. Rules based routing can automatically determine needed activity and work steps. Work object or referenced data can automatically update business applications, create additional documents or workflows, and communicate with internal and external users.
- Improve regulatory compliance – technologies can create audit trails of access and activity. Compliance with Records Retention Schedules can be automated and improved. Incoming documents can be automatically classified and stored in the system